For current show information at Clowes Memorial Hall, visit its homepage.
Clowes Memorial Hall is a highly respected Indianapolis theater and all-around performing arts facility in Indy. They offer Indianapolis education in the live arts, world-class entertainment and events hosting for the Indianapolis community in general and Butler University students in particular.
They say the Clowes experience endures a lifetime. The Hall’s classes are for Indianapolis kids K-12 , but they also have a good program to instruct adult teachers in the art of teaching children. Clowes Memorial Hall is host to dozens of different performances and educationally oriented events throughout the year, such as the recent dance-musical The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley and Leo Lionni’s Swimmi, Frederick and Inch by Inch, a visual feast for kids to learn about math and science.
Some of the Clowes teacher education programs are: “Lifting Together: Building Strong Writers Through Storytelling Collaborations,” “Dancing Together: Building Life Skills Through Traditional American Dance,” “The Power of Listening,” “Math in Your Feet: Teaching Math Through Rhythm and Movement,” and “Bringing Math Problems to Life Through Puppetry.”
Built in 1963, Clowes Memorial Hall was conceived as a venue to house the vast breadth of Indianapolis performance art. Today it is one of the premiere halls for all Indianapolis performing arts and all types of Indianapolis music. The large, modern and utilitarian Clowes auditorium itself consists of three tiers. The plush theater seats face a good-sized full stage with professional wings, lighting, sound and backstage accoutrements.
Clowes Memorial Hall is often the venue of choice for prestigious performing groups such as the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and the Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra, as well as other Indianapolis musical organizations. Though the home base for the Indianapolis Opera is the Basile Opera Center, their performances are more often than not located at Clowes Hall. The renowned national theatrical group called Broadway Across America performs at the Clowes, bringing first-class, ambitious productions such as Lion King and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang to the Butler University stage.
“Clowes Presents” is the loose moniker for the season of amazing performances in this state-of-the-art venue. Highly respected world-class performers representing many different mediums can be seen at Clowes Memorial Hall for reasonable ticket prices. Season tickets subscribers enjoy a discount of almost 30%, and Clowes offers group rates as well.
Funding for this highly ambitious, ongoing project comes from ticket sales, patron gifts, grants and foundations and corporate sponsorships. The fact that Clowes has done so well for almost 50 years is a tribute to the dedication and ambition of all the people involved.
Related Articles and Past Performances
- Shen Yun Performing Arts: Classical Chinese Dance on Display at Clowes
- Legally Blonde Dances Onto Clowes Memorial Hall’s Stage
- The Color Purple Comes to Clowes Memorial Hall
- Economist Robert Frank to Speak at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Dog Tricks Amaze at 101 Dalmatians at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Elton John Celebrates Ryan White’s Legacy at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Indianapolis Childrens’ Choir at Clowes Memorial hall
- Eric Johnson, Andy McKee, Peppino D’Agostino at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Gospel Fest at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Handel’s Messiah at Clowes Memorial Hall Saturday
- Hip Hop and Its Influence on Global Culture, FREE at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Madeleine Albright to Speak at Clowes Memorial Hall
- A Chorus Line at Clowes Holds a Mirror to Indianapolis Theatre
- Art at Clowes, Gallery Walk, and Talk with Susan Hodgin
- IndyTalks: Seven Simultaneous Lectures at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Academy of St. Martin in the Fields at Clowes Memorial Hall
- Bela Fleck Brings The Africa Project to Clowes Memorial Hall
- Groovaloo Comes to Clowes Memorial Hall
- Menopause the Musical Comes to Clowes Memorial Hall
- Ballet Hispanico Performs at Clowes Memorial Hall Saturday, October 10
Clowes Memorial Hall
4602 Sunset Avenue
Indianapolis, IN 46220
Marketing and PR: 317.940.9697
Box Office: 317.940.6444
Stage Production: 317.940.9615
Front of House: 317.940.9697
Athenaeum Theatre | Beef and Boards Dinner Theatre | Buck Creek Playhouse | Clowes Memorial Hall | Columbia Club | Hedback Theatre | Hilbert Circle Theatre | Indiana Repertory Theatre | Indianapolis Civic Theatre | IndyFringe Building | Irving Theater | Ruth Lilly Performance Hall | Madame Walker Theatre | Old National Centre (Murat) | The Palladium | Phoenix Theatre | Scottish Rite Cathedral | Theatre on the Square | Warren Performing Arts Center | Indianapolis Theatre Companies | More Greater Indianapolis Theatres
Anderson’s Mainstage Theatre | Anderson’s Paramount Theatre and Ballroom | Boggstown Cabaret Supper Club in Shelby County | Carmel Center for the Performing Arts | Carmel Community Playhouse | Carmel’s Palladium | Fishers’ Artists’ Studio | Greencastle’s Putnam County Playhouse | Greenfield’s H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts | Lebanon’s Theatre at the Milk Building | Muncie’s Ball State University Theatre | Nashville’s Coachlight Musical Theatre | Rushville’s Rush County Playhouse | Shelbyville’s Strand Theatre | Indianapolis Theatre Companies | More Central Indiana Theatres