To see current show information for the Theatre on the Square, visit its homepage.
Though Indy‘s Theatre on the Square was founded as recently as 1988, it has amassed many awards. Probably the most impressive recognition for the Theatre on the Square occurred when it relocated to Massachusetts Avenue, an event that led the Mayor to officially declare Mass Ave to be the “arts district” of Indianapolis.
The popular Indianapolis theatre started out in the lively Fountain Square district and won wide acclaim with its energetic, high-quality and prolific productions. Relocating in 1993 to Mass Ave’s Chatham Arch neighborhood, the organizers found they were able to create a second stage. In this way, they significantly expanded their already ambitious seasons.
The Theatre on the Square likes to produce mostly original plays and premieres. One recent comedy, for example, revolves around a suicidal house cat. Community outreach is important to the folks who run the Theatre on the Square, who believe that giving new Indianapolis artists a voice helps promote not only Indianapolis arts, but the overall culture as well.
Theatre on the Square
627 Massachusetts Ave
Indianapolis, IN 46204-1606
Past Performances and Reviews
- Why Torture Is Wrong…And the People Who Love Them
- Avow Opens Thursday at Theatre on the Square
- My First Time Opens at Theatre on the Square
- None of the Above at Theatre on the Square
- Spring Cleaning at Theatre on the Square
- Theatre On The Square Kicks off Their Season with Ug: The Caveman Musical
- Theatre on the Square Opens Jewtopia Tonight
- Theatre on the Square Presents “The Great American Trailer Park Musical”
- Theatre on the Square to Hold Auditions!
- Theatre on the Square’s 23rd Season Opens with the return of the FILM NOIR SERIES!
- Review: Avow at Theatre on the Square, Mass Ave
- Review: My First Time at Theatre on the Square
- Review: None of the Above at Theatre on the Square
- Review: Spring Cleaning at Theatre on the Square
- Review: The Great American Trailer Park Musical at Theatre on the Square
- Nevermore: IndyFringe Offering at Theatre on the Square
- The Stetson Manifesto: One Cowboy’s Revolt
- Waiting With M. Godot: A Delightful Romp Through Love
- Tortillo!: The Best Snack Foods Comedy in Fringe
- Andrea Merlyn’s Greatest Hits (and Missus!): The Only Magic Show in Fringe
- 7 (x1) Samurai: Do Not Miss It!
- Another Classic of Western Literature: HART’s Irreverent Fringe Offering
- Sex/Death: Challenging and Racy Theatre
- Mr. Charles Currently of Palm Beach: The Gayest Show in Fringe
- The Cask of Amontillado: A New Opera
- The Tragical Ballad of Black Bonnet at Theatre on the Square
- Only Two More Weeks of In Bed With Chuck and Lois at TOTS
- Thurgoode: IndyFringe First Timer
- America’s Next Top Bottom: Gay Friendly Fringe Offering
Athenaeum Theatre | Beef and Boards Dinner Theatre | Buck Creek Playhouse | Clowes Memorial Hall | Columbia Club | Hedback Theatre | Hilbert Circle Theatre | Indiana Repertory Theatre | Indianapolis Civic Theatre | IndyFringe Building | Irving Theater | Ruth Lilly Performance Hall | Madame Walker Theatre | Old National Centre (Murat) | The Palladium | Phoenix Theatre | Scottish Rite Cathedral | Theatre on the Square | Warren Performing Arts Center | Indianapolis Theatre Companies | More Greater Indianapolis Theatres
Anderson’s Mainstage Theatre | Anderson’s Paramount Theatre and Ballroom | Boggstown Cabaret Supper Club in Shelby County | Carmel Center for the Performing Arts | Carmel Community Playhouse | Carmel’s Palladium | Fishers’ Artists’ Studio | Greencastle’s Putnam County Playhouse | Greenfield’s H.J. Ricks Centre for the Arts | Lebanon’s Theatre at the Milk Building | Muncie’s Ball State University Theatre | Nashville’s Coachlight Musical Theatre | Rushville’s Rush County Playhouse | Shelbyville’s Strand Theatre | Indianapolis Theatre Companies | More Central Indiana Theatres