Saturday, August 15, 2009
The diverse and energetic community in greater Indianapolis looks forward each year to the African Festival on one day in summer. What is not common knowledge is that the festival puts together several other related events leading up to the big day.
The downtown Indianapolis Marion County Central Public Library, one of the strongest community centers in Indiana, mounts ongoing programs for the benefit of local Hoosiers and Indianapolis society in general. One such event is the African Film Festival, in celebration of the upcoming African Festival in Indianapolis.
It is the tenth anniversary of Indy‘s popular African Festival, which offers pre-event programs throughout the first part of August, 2009. Already past are the 5K Charity “Quarter-for-life Race and the Soccer Fest, which took place on the first two Saturdays of August.
Upcoming is the African Festival’s big weekend over August 14 and 15 , which includes the following interesting events, culminating in the actual African Festival on Saturday, August 15:
Friday, Aug. 14
- The African Ambassadors and Business Conference: This takes place from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm at the Indiana World War Memorial Building. Call 317.927.9777 for rates
- Tastes of Africa: Also at the Indiana World War Memorial Building, this fascinating experience takes place between 6:30 pm and 9:30 pm. Tickets are $10 each, or $15 at the door.
- Fashion of Africa: A most popular event, this one takes place simultaneously with the “Tastes of Africa” event, in the Indiana World War Memorial Building. Your ticket for that event gets you entry to this one.
Saturday, Aug. 15
- Community Health Fair: Staged at the American Legion Mall, one of the feature attractions of Indianapolis, open to the public without charge.
- Community Job Fair: Also free to the public, taking place at the American Legion Mall.
- African Film Festival: This event takes place between 11 am and 4:30 pm, and admission is free. The venue is the Clowes Auditorium at the Central Library in downtown Indianapolis.
- African Festival: This highly-anticipated event is staged at the American Legion Mall and Park. It is comprised of various stage performances, including live Indianapolis bands, a market and exhibition, consular services, a youth program and food stalls.
The African Festival celebrates its tenth anniversary this year. Along with other ethnic festivals and fairs in Indianapolis, such as the Indy Irish Festival, the Indianapolis Italian Street Festival, the Indy International Festival and the Spirit and Place Festival, the African Festival enriches and enhances the flavor of the Circle City and paints another layer on the complex canvas that is Indianapolis.
African Community International, Inc.
(The African Center)
3737 N Meridian St, Ste 507
Indianapolis, IN 46208
Visit the African Center of Indianapolis website.
Read about the history of the Marion County Public Library