Indianapolis performing arts are an important part of Indianapolis culture. The Indiana State Museum celebrates performing arts with the Indiana Performing Arts Festival May 16 though 22, 2010 in Indianapolis downtown. This Indianapolis festival showcases a variety of Indianapolis art forms including dance, music, storytelling and theatre. With a whole week of exciting Indianapolis events planned, the Indiana Performing Arts Festival promises to be an exciting celebration of the art Hoosiers have to offer. Most performances are included in the price of admission to this Indianapolis museum, while some workshops charge a nominal fee.
The center piece of the Indiana State Museum’s Indiana Performing Arts Festival is a newly written, original play by NUVO Newsweekly writer Rita Kohn. Known in the pages of NUVO for her reviews of Indianapolis music, art, dance and theatre, Kohn takes a stab at sharing her own work with Indianapolis people for a change. Her new play, Before the Shadows Flee, examines the life of actor Edwin Booth “and his life long anguish over his brother, John Wilkes Booth, and his hopes and dreams connected with American theatre.”
Intended to connect with the Indiana State Museum’s recent Abraham Lincoln exhibits, Before the Shadows Flee offers another, semi-historical viewpoint on this important era of United States history. It will certainly be interesting to see Rita Kohn’s writing take center stage, rather than reflect on center stage.
Other events in the Indiana Performing Arts Festival feature ghost stories, dance performances in various genres, public conversations, music performances and more. For a complete schedule of events in the Indiana Performing Arts Festival, read on.
Indiana Performing Arts Festival: Schedule of Events
May 16, 2010
- Jazz in the Great Hall, 1:00 to 4:00 pm
- Before the Shadows Flee, 2:00 to 3:00 pm ($5.00 for nonmembers/ $3.00 for members)
May 18, 2010
- Lincoln and Douglass: A Meeting of the Minds, 9:30 to 10:30 am ($5:00 for nonmembers/ $3:00 for members)
- Before the Shadows Flee, 7:00 to 8:00 pm
May 19, 2010
- Ghost Stories of Indiana, 9:30 to 9:50 am and 11:00 to 11:20 am
- Dance, Indiana, Dance!, 9:30 to 10:15 am (hip hop), 10:30 to 11:15 am (jazz), 11:30 am to 12:15 pm (swing)
- A Public Conversation with Howard Caldwell, 1:00 to 2:00 pm
- Before the Shadows Flee, 7:00 to 8:00 pm
May 20, 2010
- Lincoln and Douglass: A Meeting of the Minds, 9:30 to 10:30 am and 7:00 to 8:00 pm
May 21, 2010
- Indy Air Bears, 10:00 am to noon
- The Legacy Theatre Troupe presents Odd Indiana Music, 10:00 am to noon
May 22, 2010
- Indianapolis Children’s Dance League, noon to 12:30 pm
- Riding Family Praise/ Dance Troupe, 1:00 to 1:30 pm
- Continental Dance Club, 2:00 to 3:00 pm
- Before the Shadows Flee, 2:00 to 3:00 pm
May 23, 2010
- Jazz Brunch in the Canal Cafe, 11:00 am to 1:00 pm, $32.50 for non members, $11.40 for Indianapolis kids (three to eight), $27.00 for members, $5.99 for member kids (three to eight)
- Carmel Kids, 2:00 to 3:00 pm
With a prime Indianapolis real estate along the Indianapolis Canal Walk and White River State Park, the Indiana State Museum is near a host of Indianapolis attractions. A walk along the canal reveals the Eiteljorg Museum, the NCAA Hall of Champions and the Indiana History Center.
After you experience these Indianapolis events, head to any of the many Indianapolis restaurants or Indianapolis bars for dinner and drinks. Stay tuned to Indianapolis News, Events and Information on Fun City Finder.com for all the latest on fun things to do in Indianapolis. Get out in Indy and find some fun!
Indiana Performing Arts Festival
May 16 to 23, 2010
Children’s Museum of Indianapolis | Indiana State Fairgrounds | Indiana State Museum | Indianapolis Museum of Art | Central Indiana Theatres and Performing Arts Venues | Indianapolis Zoo | More Indianapolis Things to Do
Anderson Things to Do | Avon Things to Do | Bargersville Things to Do | Brownsburg Things to Do | Camby Things to Do | Carmel Things to Do | Cicero Things to Do | Crawfordsville Things to Do | Danville Things to Do | Fishers Things to Do | Fortville Things to Do | Greencastle Things to Do | Greenfield Things to Do | Greenwood Things to Do | Indianapolis Things to Do | Lawrence Things to Do | Lebanon Things to Do | Martinsville Things to Do | Mooresville things to Do | Noblesville Things to Do | Plainfield Things to Do | Shelbyville Things to Do | Westfield Things to Do | Zionsville Things to Do