Menu 

Vagina Monologues at Wheeler Arts, Fountain Square

Eve Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues has come to stand for female empowerment across the United States. Each year on “V-Day,” hundreds of organizations present Ensler’s The Vagina Monologues to raise money and awareness for brutality against women everywhere. Saturday, April 30, Empowered Living Inc. presents The Vagina Monologues at the Wheeler Arts Center in the Indianapolis cultural district Fountain Square. This Indianapolis theatre event is in conjunction with the 2011 V-Day Campaign and a means to raise money to fund their own work at a more affordable prices.

The Vagina Monologues are a series of monologues performed by different women. The monologues explore a range of women’s issues with titles like “My Angry Vagina,” “My Vagina was My Village,” “The Little Coochie Snorcher That Could,” “The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy” and more. Each tackles topics like receiving a first menstrual period, Bosnian women subjected to rape camps, traumatic sexual experiences, lesbian sex workers, OB/GYNs and health care for women and others. Each year Ensler adds a new monologue to the canon relating to a current issue facing women at the time. Each production selects their own arrangement of the monologues.


The Vagina Monologues
were first performed in 1996 at the HERE Arts Center in New York City. The show quickly gained prominence among female artists. In 2001, a production ran at Madison Square Garden with performances from Melissa Ethridge and Whoopi Goldberg. Eve Ensler started the V-Day movementĀ  in 1998, using her play as a cornerstone of the movement. Occurring between February 1 and April 30 each year, The Vagina Monologues are performed around the world. Each performance is required to donate at least 10% of their proceeds to a cause headed by the V-Day movement.

This year, V-Day is raising money for women and girls in Haiti. Since the earthquake in January 2010 that rocked the island nation, violence against women and girls in the country has increased to the highest levels yet. With 1,000,000 people left homeless, Haitians are living without basic amenities like clean water, medical care, food and electricity. Thousands live in refugee camps, meaning that thousands of women and girls have been thrust into dangerous situations. Cases of rape and abortions performed on children as young as 10 have tripled in the year since the earthquake.
At their production of The Vagina Monologues this Saturday, April 30, Empowered Living LLC will donate 10% of their proceeds to the V-Day cause this year. The other 90% of proceeds will go toward helping the organization provide affordable care for Indianapolis women. Empowered Living LLC provides counseling, workshops, groups, lectures and conferences for women in need of emotional, social and mental support. While this group is a “for-profit” organization, the funds raised from The Vagina Monologues will make these services more affordable for women in need.

Head to Fountain Square’s Wheeler Arts Center Saturday, April 30 to support V-Day and Empowered Living LLC at this Indianapolis event. A silent auction begins at 4:00 pm and the show starts at 6:00 pm. Tickets are $10 in advance for general admission, $8 for students and seniors and $12 at the door.

Grab dinner before the show at any of these Indianapolis restaurants. Check out Santorini’s Greek Kitchen for some delectable Mediterranean food, or try the Smokehouse on Shelby for a nice piece of red meat. After the show, unwind with drinks at any of these Indianapolis bars.

Stay tuned to Fun City Finder.com for all the latest on fun things to do in Indianapolis. We cover Indianapolis arts, Indianapolis music, Indianapolis sports, Indianapolis shopping and more. Get out in Indy and find some fun! Make the most of the Circle City.

The Vagina Monologues
Saturday, April 30, 2011

4:00 pm
$10 in advance, $8 students and seniors, $12 at the door
Website

Wheeler Arts Community
1035 Sanders Street
Indianapolis, IN 46203