For the second straight year, the Indianapolis Boat, Sport & Travel Show, presented by Ford, will be coming to the Indiana State Fairgrounds. This massive outdoor show, which enjoys a 60-year history nationwide, is the perfect activity for casual-to-hardcore outdoor enthusiasts, or anyone suffering from a serious case of cabin fever.
For true aficionados, the sheer enormity of this show makes it virtually impossible to fully experience everything in a single visit. Everything from boats, RV’s, paddle sports equipment, hunting gear, fishing tackle, vacation packages and educational seminars will be spread over 650,000 square feet, including a Boat Pavilion, RV Pavilion, and Travel and Tourism Pavilion. Fun contests will be held, and celebrity guest speakers will be present.
- Nationally touring comedians and celebrity chefs, Pat ‘Mac’ and Mike ‘The Big Cheese’ Faverman, will perform live in “Ultimate Camp Cooking”.
- Twiggy the Water Skiing Squirrel will perform her amazing and hilarious water skiing act. Twiggy and her trainer Lou Ann Best have been at it for over 27 years. She was originally rescued in 1978, and has been on tour with trainer Lou Ann Best for over 27 years.
- The “Ask the Pros Seminar Series” seminar is a great way to interact with professional fisherman from the FLW Tournament series. Seminar attendees are encouraged to actively suggest topics of discussion, making this a very fluid event. The overall objective is to discuss, and learn about, the competitive nature of professional tournament fishing at the levels. Guests will learn about all aspects of the sport, including how to get sponsors, what gear to use for a competitive advantage, as well as information on boats, fishing tactics and strategies, weather and electronics, skill sets and more.
- Fishing Seminars at the Hawg Trough: Nationally known anglers will share their secrets and catch fish right before your eyes, in a 5,000 gallon aquarium measuring 40’ long, 4’ wide and 8’ deep.
- Scout Day will feature “Camping’s Top Secrets” and “Bear Proofing Your Camp” Seminars with Cliff Jacobson. Other activities include Canoe and Kayak Trekking Seminar, “Go FishIN” Workshops presented by the DNR, Long Distance Backpacking (Prep & Planning), Wilderness Survival Merit Badge Workshop, Fly Fishing Merit Badge Workshop, Dutch Oven Camp Cooking , Making Fire in the Rain, Waterproofing Your Pack and Personal Items, Storm Proofing Your Camp. A free climb on the Rock Wall will be offered to any scout in uniform.
- Hoosier Mountain Bike Association (HMBA) presents the Hoosier Mountain Bike Association Skills Course, a hands-on mountain bike exhibit that includes the bikes. A mini-course will be presented for kids who want to try mountain biking for the first time.
- The Kid’s Zone in Tackle Town is an on-site trout pond offers a kid’s casting area for youngsters wanting to try their hand at trout fishing. Live demonstrations designed to teach the art of fly casting will be presented. This event will take place in the Quiet Sports and Travel & Tourism Pavilion.
- The 24-foot tall Peak Adventure Rock Wall adds an element of excitement to the show. The wall is available to anyone who wants to test their rock climbing skills.
- The Kayak Demonstration Pool offers guest curious about kayaking a chance to go through the motions. The pool will be situated in the Quiet Sports and Travel & Tourism Pavilion.
- Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1202 E. 38th Street, Indianapolis, IN 46205
- February 15-24, 2013
- Hours vary by day
- Tel. 877-892-1723