Looking for an excuse to get out of the house? From now through June 23, over 35 Indianapolis restaurants will offer special lunch and dinner menus at a discounted price as part of “Chow Down Midtown.”
Meals will consist of an appetizer, entree and dessert. Different discounted pricing options will be offered. One person, for example might eat for $25, while 2 persons eat for $40.
Some restaurants will offer dishes that aren’t normally available on their daily menu, while others may take existing menu items and offer a special portion size or other twist especially for Chow Down Midtown customers. A few restaurants will participate only during lunch hours, and some will even offer special beer and wine pairings for an extra charge.
This is a great opportunity to scout new restaurants, and possibly even find your new favorite hangout. New additions to Chow Down Midtown in 2013 include Aristocrat, Bazbeaux Pizza, Delicia, Egyptian Cafe, Fat Dan’s Deli, Good Morning Mama’s, SoBro Cafe, Usual Suspects and Za. Places like The Jazz Kitchen, Mama Carolla’s and Ambrosia are regulars to the program.
A Few “Chow Down Midtown” Highlights
- Ambrosia is located in the Morrison Opera building in Broad Ripple. There is a certain quaintness and old world charm to this restaurant. Many of the recipes have been passed down through the family. The grilled artichoke hearts with red peppers and spicy olive oil are a nice choice with the Ravioli della Mamma.
- Aristocrat is another south Broad Ripple restaurant that offers old standards like fish & chips, bangers, Brit Pub food and even local brewed beer. An outdoor seating area is nice in the summer.
- Binkley’s Kitchen has become somewhat of a go-to spot for locals in the Broad Ripple area. It is an unpretentious place where regular people can enjoy a dimly lit dinner. The food is affordable and includes a good selection of salads, steaks, sandwiches, and pizzas.
- Delicia is somewhat of a synergism of Latin American, Caribbean and Spanish cuisines. Décor is somewhat swanky and sleek. This place is known for its great cocktails. And there are some interesting recipes on the menu, such as Chile En Nogada, ground pork and beef with roasted poblano peppers, apricots, cinnamon, raisins, walnuts, goat cheese and herb green rice.
- Meridian, as the name implies, is located in the Meridian-Kessler area of Indy’s old north side. Inside there it is cozy and there is somewhat of a ski lodge vibe. In addition to offering a great martinis, there are some tasty sounding entrees on the menu, such as Gunthorp Farms Pork Chop, Low Country Shrimp Risotto, Lamb Loin Chops, Alaskan Halibut and Rushing Waters Trout.
- Zest! This is one of those places I’ve been meaning to try for a while now. Maybe Chow Down Midtown is the perfect opportunity. You could probably throw a dart at the menu and enjoy whatever it landed on, everything looks so good.
- June 10-23, 2013