There’s regular basketball, and then there’s the Harlem Globetrotters. It might as well be the difference between C-SPAN and TMZ, because these guys take basketball to a whole new level, with a game that is as comedic as it is mesmerizing.
Their 2014 tour includes a stop at Bankers Life Fieldhouse on Monday, January 20. Only this time, it is with the added twist that fans are allowed to vote on the rules.
The 2014 online ballot includes 3 entirely new rules:
- Hot Hand Jersey: Players pass a jersey among one another, and the player wearing the jersey makes double the points on baskets.
- Make or Miss: Each quarter commences with just two players from each team. Each basket made allows another teammate to enter the court. When a player misses a shot, that player must leave the game.
- Trick Shot Challenge: Each team is given three “challenge flags” which they can use to challenge the other team to make some kind of trick shot. If they make it they get 5 points. If they miss, the team that issued the challenge gets 5 points.
This year’s Globetrotters roster features stars like Big Easy Lofton, Flight Time Lang, Special K Daley Hi-Lite Bruton and Dizzy Grant, and even female stars like Sweet J Ekworomadu, Time Brawner and TNT Maddox.
Since the franchise’ founding in 1926, the Harlem Globetrotters have played in well over 20,000 games, much to the delight of fans in over 122 counties around the world. What makes them so amazing is the effortlessness by which they execute their basketball moves. It takes a combination of precision timing, fine-tuned athleticism, power, grace, and a lot of showmanship to deliver a performance of this kind.
This is truly a one-of-a-kind show for both the young…and young-at-heart. Just be careful not to blink—you might miss something.
- When: January 20, 2014 at 2:00pm
- Where: Bankers Life Fieldhouse, 125 S Pennsylvania St, Indianapolis, IN 46204