With temperatures on the rise, outdoor enthusiasts are gearing up for spring in a major way. The Ford 60th Annual Indianapolis Boat, Sport and Travel Show has been underway and drawing huge crowds.
This massive 15-acre show, which is the largest consumer show of its kind in the nation, runs now through February 23, 2014 at the Indiana state Fairgrounds.
While there is so much to see and do at the show, one of the main draws is no doubt the boats, from speed boats, pontoon boats and wave runners to skiing boats and fishing boats.
Another big draw is the RV portion of the show, which features everything from small, towable campers to massive vacation retreats on wheels. The retro styled campers, in particular, have become increasingly popular in recent years. As public relations director Dan Forst explains, “Retro is in in so many things anymore, and it’s even come to the camper industry (with) the two and three-person campers patterned after the Airstream campers of the 1950s and 60s.”
Another cool aspect of the show is the “Quite Sports” area, which features several fun and informative stations, each which allows hands-on familiarization with certain types of products. The Indianapolis Hiking Club area, for example, offers a fun and safe way to experience rock-climbing.
Fly casting, for example, has become an increasingly popular style of fishing in recent years. Fortunately, anyone looking to try out a rod and reel before buying can head on over to a special Fly Casting area that has been setup for this very purpose. You can also get some tips on proper form and technique.
The Trout Pond is a fun area the kids will love. Stocked ‘to the gills’ with trout, it’s a fun way for kids to discover the thrill of catching that elusive first fish!
Other Show Attractions and Features…
- A Kayak Pool allows visitors to try out kayaks before buying.
- The Shark Tank, as the name implies, is a huge tank filled with sharks. Guests can watch as divers dive into the tank, touch the sharks and even put their head in the shark’s mouth.
- The “Tackle Town” area is bursting at the seams with every kind of fishing apparel, rod and reel, and of course, tackle you could hope to find.
- The Deer, Turkey and Waterfoul Expo will run Feb 20-23 and will feature ll kinds of Manufacturer’s Archery Demo Lanes , a Trophy Deer Display, outfitters, seminars and speakers and contests.
- The Ask the Pros Fishing Seminar Series provides an interactive forum for direct contact with the seminar speakers.
- The Travel & Tourism Pavilion is a massive coming-together of over 160 exhibitors, including several travel and tourism boards; convention and visitors bureaus; as well as the actual owners or operators of the lodges, resorts, camps or facilities they represent.
- What: Ford 60th Annual Indianapolis Boat, Sport and Travel Show
- When: Now through February 23, 2014
- Where: Indiana State Fairgrounds, 1202 E 38th St, Indianapolis, Indiana 46205