The north end of Mass Ave in downtown Indianapolis welcomed a new neighbor recently when Homespun: Modern Handmade opened the doors of its new digs.
Homespun isn’t new to Indianapolis; its previous location was in Indy’s historic Irvington neighborhood. The move to Mass Ave gives the boutique a larger space for more product and for hands-on crafting (and other) workshops.
The focus of Homespun is to offer products made through traditional crafting techniques that appeal to shoppers with contemporary tastes. Over 200 crafters and artisans, many from Central Indiana, are represented on Homespun’s shelves.
Don’t let the word “crafts” scare you away. This is not your grandmother’s crocheted toilet paper cover. I’m talking beautifully hand-crafted items from jewelry to leather purses to gifts perfect for welcoming a new baby. There is home decor and artisan food. I spent probably 30 minutes strolling up and down the aisles. I could have spent twice as long if I’d had the time. Things that caught my eye included:
- Lampwork jewelry
- Magnets made from vintage board games
- Purses, wallets, coinpurses, totebags in both leather and fabric
- Awesome journal covers (just replace the notebook when the journal is full
- Homemade soaps and lotions
- T-shirts that pay homage to Indiana
- Wall decor
- A large selection of handmade greeting cards
- Dolls and stuffed animals
- Food products from Scratch Truck Indy, Just Pop In, U-Relish, Best Boy & Co., among others
(If my husband is reading, a Homespun gift certificate would make a great Mother’s Day gift.)
Homespun: Modern Handmade is located at 869 Massachusetts Avenue (in the Trailside Building) and is open 7 days a week:
Mon – Thurs: 10am-8pm
Fri & Sat: 10am-9pm
Free parking is available behind the building. Metered street parking is also available on Mass Ave.