#Indianapolis #Indiana – It’s September in Indianapolis, and football is not the only thing that happens around town. Several large children’s consignment sales happen this month. With the right planning, you can save big on everything a child might need. Most shoppers go to the sale thinking about finding clothing for their kids. There is so much more you could be buying.
2. School supplies – if you can tell already that the new backpack isn’t going to last the entire school year, look in the luggage section for backpacks, tote bags and lunch boxes.
3. Special Occasion shoes – my kids wear dressy shoes less than once per week. I’m always happy to buy such shoes at a consignment sale!
4. Sports gear – Has your child outgrown last year’s cleats or shin guards? You many find the next size up!
5. Spares for grandparents and babysitters – consignment sales are a great place to find the extra high chair, baby gate or training toilet that grandma can keep at her house.
6. Halloween costumes – all kid like to dress up, and there’s usually a good selection of costumes,as well as dance attire at the fall sales.
7. Colts Attire – super fans sell at the sales too, so be on the look out for jerseys, bibs, and sleepers that are scream Go Colts!
8. Toys – the sheer number of toys for sale at one of these events is overwhelming. Surely there are some that are just right for the kids in your life.
The key to successful consignment sale shopping trip is getting there as early as you can. If you can purchase pre-sale tickets,and know you have a lot to buy, it’s the best way to guarantee the largest selection. Otherwise, get there as early in the day as possible. Wear comfortable clothes, bring sturdy tote bags, and shop strategically. Decide which item is your number one priority, and shop for it first. Take time at a sorting table (if available) to go through what you’ve grabbed so that there isn’t any buyer’s remorse when you get home.
Here’s a list of area sales that are happening in the next month. For more information on each sale, please visit each sale’s website for hours and policies.
- Whale of A Sale North – this fall sale started last night with a pre-sale event. Shop through Saturday, September 6th at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.
- Indy Kids Sale – this fall sale starts next Wednesday with a pre-sale event. Regular shopping days are September 11- 13, 2014.
- Kids Closet Sale – this sale is held at the Incrediplex in Lawrence, and runs September 18- 20, 2014.
- Whale of a Sale South – this fall sale takes place the first weekend in October.
Shopping consignment sales is more effective that shopping multiple garage sales. The inventory is more than your average second-hand shop. Shopping with friends makes it more fun and less of a chore, and the thrill of a good bargain is hard to beat!