For current show information at the Indiana Repertory Theatre, visit its website.
The Indiana Repertory Theatre, since its founding in 1972, has been entertaining and enriching the lives of Indianapolis residents, students, and visitors with nine live productions annually. Also known as IRT, the historical Indianapolis stage has been supported by individual and corporate donations throughout the vast community. The IRT is located in downtown Indianapolis and is right across the street from the Indiana State Capitol Building. With historic Monument Circle and the finest in Indianapolis shopping at the Circle Center Mall just a few blocks away there is plenty to do and see both before and after the show.
As a popular cultural institution known across the country, the IRT was designated as “Theatre Laureate”, or theatre of distinction and honor, by the 1991 Indiana General Assembly. The Indianapolis theatre is proud to be a repeated recipient of several coveted grants, including donations from the Lilly Endowment Fund, Kresge Foundation, Indiana Arts Commission, Shubert Foundation, and the Theatre Communications Group Charitable Trusts.
The Indiana Repertory Theatre attracts more than 132,000 visitors annually from across Indiana, proving it is one of the must see attractions in Indianapolis. Extensive school programs also host 49,000 students each year, striving to expand the arts and theatre education in Indianapolis for the state’s children and future growth. Nine productions each year are made possible by the staff of more than 100 actors, directors and designers. Many members of the staff live and work in and around Indy and participate in professional stage unions.
Historically, the IRT has called two major downtown theatres home during its existence. From 1972-1980, the Indiana Repertory Theatre entertained audiences in the Athenaeum Turners Building, currently the home of The Rathskeller, a popular Indianapolis restaurant and hotspot for live entertainment. Beginning in 1980, the Indiana Repertory Theatre moved into the renovated 1927 Indiana Theatre. The theatre’s facelift produced three stages for performances, commonly referred to as the Mainstage, Upperstage and Cabaret. Office and rehearsal space was also included to support the efforts of the theatre’s production staff.
Renovations in 1997 upgraded the audience support services and production equipment. 2001 brought improvements to the Mainstage Auditorium, and the impressive, two-story Grand Lobby was revived to its original 1972 glory in 1999. Rehearsal rooms and the Cabaret stage, as well as the Upperstage Theatre and lobby, were upgraded and restored in 1998 and 1997 respectively.
The IRT’s mission statement to “provide a unique opportunity for audiences and artists to share experiences that can be enjoyable, uplifting, thought-provoking, even life-changing” is fostered by extensive public donations that comprise nearly 39% of its entire operating funds.
Call Center ticket office hours are Monday through Friday, 10a.m. to 6:30 p.m., Saturday from 12 p.m. to ½ hour after curtain call, and Sunday from 12p.m. to ½ hour after curtain (only on performance days). Window tickets are available depending on current show times, on Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to ½ hour after curtain.
Indiana Repertory Theatre, Inc.
140 W. Washington St
Indianapolis, IN 46204
IRT Ticket Office: 317.635.5252
IRT Administrative Office: 317.635.5277
Past Performances and Reviews, Related Articles:
- Indiana Repertory Theatre Offers Preview of 2010-11 Season
- Terre Haute by Indiana State University’s Crossroads Repertory Theatre at the IRT
- Indiana Repertory Theatre and Easley Winery Offer New Saturday Wine At Nine
- Indiana Repertory Theater Starts 2009-10 Season This Week With The Heavens are Hung in Black
- The Heavens Are Hung in Black: The Indiana Repertory Theatre’s American Ghost Story Offering This Month!
- IRT Celebrates the Season with Holiday Classic “A Christmas Carol”
- Indiana Repertory Theatre Opens Around the World in 80 Days
- Indiana Repertory Theatre Opens Love Letters This Week
- Indiana Repertory Theatre’s Going Solo Opens Final Show: After Paul McCartney
- Indiana Repertory Theatre’s The Giver Wows Indianapolis Children and Audiences
- Pretty Fire Kicks Off Going Solo Festival at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: A Christmas Carol at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: After Paul McCartney at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: Around the World in 80 Days at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: Becky’s New Car at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: Indiana Repertory Theatre’s Rehashed Romeo and Juliet
- Review: Love Letters at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: Pretty Fire at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Review: The Year of Magical Thinking at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Romeo and Juliet Opens at the Indiana Repertory Theatre This Weekend
- Terre Haute by Indiana State University’s Crossroads Repertory Theatre at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- The Giver On Stage at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- The Year of Magical Thinking at Indiana Repertory Theatre’s Going Solo Festival
- Becky’s New Car at the Indiana Repertory Theatre Opens This Week
- Dance Kaleidoscope Premieres Life’s a Cabaret at the Indiana Repertory Theatre
- Dance Kaleidoscope Presents Final Piece, Pictures at an Exhibition
- World Music Carnival by Dance Kaleidoscope
- Going Solo Festival in Review, Plus Pretty Fire Extended!
- Indiana Roof Ballroom on the Upper Level of the Indiana Repertory Theatre